Power outages aren’t something we can predict, but when they happen they sure can be a hassle. You never really realize how much you depend on electricity until you don’t have it! While power outages are out of our control, there are a lot of things you can do now to make one a lot more comfortable later on.

If severe weather is in the forecast, stock up on batteries and flashlights. You should also pick up a few coolers and some ice. You can use them to keep food from your fridge and freezer from spoiling and to keep beverages cold. If a power outage happens in the summer, the ice can also be used to keep everyone cool!

If at all possible, don’t rely on candles. While they will provide light and even a little warmth, that comes with a serious fire hazard. All it takes is one accidentally getting knocked over or brushed against to create a tragedy. Choose flashlights and battery operated lanterns instead. In a real pinch though, if you need light and have nothing else, stick a crayon in a container of Crisco or other solid shortening and light it. It will provide light for quite sometime, but make sure to keep a very close eye on it!

For winter power outages, which are a common result of ice and snowstorms, make sure you have a supply of warm blankets. If you have a gas stove you can use the stove top to heat up soup or coffee, but never ever use it to heat the room, it’s far too dangerous. Always turn on all faucets to a slow drip if the power goes out in below freezing temps as this can prevent pipes from freezing and bursting. Your grill can help you make hot meals but never use it indoors.

If you live in an area that gets frequent outages or you have an invalid in your home, it’s a good idea to invest in a generator. A good generator can provide plenty of power for your home so you can get through a power outage in relative comfort. Check out generac generator service Spring TX for a wide selection of generators to choose from. One very important thing to remember is never ever use a generator meant for outdoor operation inside. Doing so could fill your home with deadly carbon monoxide.